It never ceases to amaze me how many different ways there are to hide from painful memories or uncomfortable situations. It's gotten to the point to where I say to myself: (1) I should like to try that myself, or (2) what the HECK are they thinking?
The following is a pithy list of things people do to escape what the experts call "reality" ":
1. BECOME OBSESSED WITH FAN-FICTION. This is the worst one because people think that they are escaping "reality," but what they don't realize is that they are subconsciously trading one sad reality for another one. All this accomplishes is making the person crippled by the fact that they cannot live within the alternate reality of their imagination. TRUST ME; I've tried doing this, and it doesn't turn out well for anyone.
2. GO CRAY-CRAY FOR FASHION. This one is pretty interesting, considering that it's a win-win-lose (you win because you look good, others win because they get to see something aesthetically pleasing, and you lose because you could possibly become a self-absorbed prude). Again, I've tried this one. However, the problem with this one is that it allows people to become SO self-focused. (But, then again, it IS pretty fun).
3. WORK OUT. Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, we have a real winner here! This one is the REAL DEAL: there are so many benefits to doing this. It takes your mind off of things, gets your body in shape, makes you feel good, and lets some steam loose.
4. DIVULGE IN EATING FOOD. Don't get me wrong; eating food is GREAT! (I do it every day) But I think that, if the food isn't healthy, this could possibly be a lose-lose situation (a lose for you because you will slow down and consume too many calories, and a lose for others because it sets a terrible example). But this can be a good thing if you need to GAIN weight! Just don't make it a habit and you'll be chipper.
5. WATCHING COUNTLESS HOURS OF T.V. In our day and age, T.V. is almost heaven-sent. However, some people abuse the power of the remote. If this works for you, well...GREAT! But I, personally wouldn't do it because sitting on your backside for hours on end isn't exactly a productive use of your time.
6. GETTING ON YOUR KNEES AND PRAYING FOR 5 MINUTES. This, by far, is the best cure for a sore heart and a mind that's drowning in thoughts. The key to this one is CONFESSING ANY SIN in your life, then POURING OUT your heart to God and lastly, the most important thing to do is to LISTEN. If you pray for peace, you will find yourself no longer in angst.
I'm sure that there are many more ways to "cure" soulful aches and pains, however, I only wrote down the most relevant ones in my life (the ones that I've tried). There are lots more that I know of that I could write down, but for the sake of my privacy and out of consideration for my viewers, I have not written them down.
Just remember that #6 is by far the most important one! Take it to heart and actually DO IT!